Saturday, May 25, 2013

Aileen's Card



Hello Crafty Friends!

I am sorry for not posting yesterday, but our internet was pooped and I don't know how to fix it. AND the person that fixes it for us was working an all nighter.  (He is an assistant to a wedding photographer and videographer).  You can check out his awesome work on his website.

Well, this late post is going to be about the Mojo Monday Sketch.


If you follow me on Facebook you would had noticed that I originally wanted to make a baby card with this sketch, but my friend Aileen honored me by asking me to make thank you cards for her bridal entourage using mint, coral, light pink, and gray.

This is what I created using the May 2013 National Scrapbooking Paper Packet: Dream Pop Special.

Card Word Puzzle and In the Background stamp sets.




I have been wanting to play with water coloring (ink & water brush) so I tried it out with the flowers in hopes to get the colors she asked for.  I used Juniper, Blush, Sorbet and Olive Ink I was really surprised that the Sorbet Ink worked out as an okay coral color because to me it's really orangy, but I am not a color expert and I was just really happy it worked out. 

I had a lot of fun playing with the water brush, it was definitely a learning experience I had to learn how much water was needed to create the color I wanted. It does take time, but once I had my flow I was done in no time.

Hope you join the Monday Mojo fun!

Aileen had previously asked me to make her guest bridal party thank you cards, in which I was honored at that time, too, so I was surprised when she asked me to make a new set.

For the first design I made for her she requested for mint blue, gray, and lace.  I knew I wanted to use the Love Doily Acrylix stamp, Colonial White Rosette Ribbon, and that I had gray ink and paper.  But, I was a little worried about the mint blue.  It’s the new color of the year, technically emerald green, but for spring and weddings, mint blue is the "It Color".  I browsed through my ink.  I grabbed Lagoon at first, but I knew it was too bright and too deep (it was my wedding color).  I kept browsing and found Juniper.  I was super stoked, EXCEPT I didn’t have any Juniper Cardstock.  (Sigh), then my light bulb went on->Look through the Paper Packects because, they not only have the printed cardstock, but also have coordinating cardstock.  Sadly, I found nothing and none of the printed cardstock was too my liking.  I knew I had to think outside the box.  I almost forgot about the National Scrapbooking Special Paper Packet.  I looked at the zip strip description and on it read: “mint.”  BIG SMILE!  Then, I thought to myself, “awe, we don’t carry that ink color.  I wonder if this will be a new color in the new catalog.”  (I don’t know if it is, but Juniper is a good match).


It took me about 45 minutes, maybe an hour to put this card together.  I knew I wanted to place the Love Doily Acrylix stamp in the middle because I just placed it there and BAM I loved the placement.  I was thinking I would have used it as a background or off to the side, but I liked it just as you see it.  I chose to use the National Scrapbooking Special Paper Packet’s mint as the base of the card because I wanted to show the texture and it was the only paper I had close enough to mint blue.

I knew it would be difficult and tedious to cut out the doily, but this card needed depth.  I stamped the doily twice, first with gray ink, cut that out and then with juniper to cut out the center of the doily.  I popped up the flower to show more depth.  Because I used the Colonial White Rosette Ribbon under the base of the doily, I had also popped up it up with dimensional tape.  The “Thank You” stamp I used is discontinued (D1361). I stamped it with black and cut it out.  And distressed it with gray ink and juniper using daubers.  I also distressed the doily with the same colors. 

Placing the doily on the top of the mint B&T was BLAH aka plain, so I put white cardstock behind it.  Still BORING!  Ugh.  Then I remembered I had an embossing folder named, Lacy Brocade.  I dug it up and embossed the white paper.  YULK!  Still not satisfied, so I started to lightly distress it with juniper; not enough,  added the gray; not enough, added more juniper.  It just looked so plain.  So I decided to distress the sides with gray ink and that did the trick.

I put the card together and then added the pearl opaques.

Finally I was satisfied and so was Aileen.




I also made her this scrapbook page using paper from the May 2013 National Scrapbooking Paper Packet: Dream Pop Special  and putting it in a shadow box.





Thanks for reading and Happy scrappin’!













No comments:

Post a Comment