Friday, August 24, 2012

Jui Jitsu Birthday Card

Happy Friday!

So my weeks have been filled with summer and babysitting that I haven't made time to create anything these days.  Except when an event comes up and I need a card, as noted in my previous post.

This time though... my husband came home from work on Wednesday and told me that his co-worker needed a birthday card for his girlfriend on Saturday.  I immediately became excited and honored that he asked me to make it for him.  The instructions were on a yellow sticky note and read, "girl colors, Jui Jitsu."  My first thought was to use my Asian themed stamps, in which I said out loud.  My husband said, "I think it's Brazilian, not Asian martial arts."  So while he was in the shower, I looked it  up and learned that Jui Jitsu was introduced to Brazil by an Asian.  I was pondering how I would incorporate my Asian themed stamps with martial arts...all my thoughts were boring to me and surprisingly I didn't have an Asian themed birthday stamp sets...so I decided to not use any of my Asian themed stamps.  Instead, I did some research and decided to make a karate or Jui Jitsu jacket.

This is the original card.
The jacket would flip open  once the ribbon or belt was removed.
My husband thought a tag would be less work for both the giver and the recipient.
Hence the next photos.


I was crushed for time so I just made a simple plain tag.

I was going to use purple cardstock instead of the ribbon for the tag because I wanted the ribbon for the tag to be flush with the jacket, but the cardstock is not as flexible.
I could had colored the Color Ready Ribbon, but I didn't have time to color it this AM (it needs time to dry).
In any case, the ribbon can be tucked away.

Finished card.
And I just received a card from my husband stating that his co-worker liked it.
Yay!
It was very fun making this card because I had no template.  I was hoping my mom's "Pagoda" Cricut Cartridge had a template, but it didn't.   To my surprise my hand drawing skills turned out okay.  I made the jacket purple because I had my husband call his co-worker to find out what color her jacket and belt are.

For the envelope I used a clear 5.5"x8.125" clear envelope.  Then included a colonial white cardstock cut at 5"x6" to give the card a sturdy background.  The excess of the envelope perfectly matched the other side when folded in half.  I apologize, no photos were taken because I had to hurry up and give the card to my husband for delivery. =)

Materials used:
Smokey Plum Cardstock 1291
Colonial White Cardstock 1388
Color Ready Ribbon Z1732
Card Word Puzzle C1494

I don't have any dimensions because this card was "eye-balled."  All I have in my notes that I took while I created this card is that the base is 4"x3" (back of the card) and the tag is 3.75" x 2.5".  It all depends on how big you want the card to be.=)

Test your drawing skills and have fun with your card making!

Happy scrappin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment