Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Why I'm Walking with American Cancer Society for Making Strides Agaisnt Breast Cancer


Hello Family & Friends,

This year I have decided to become activate with the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.  I joined team Fitness Odyssey about two months ago because the owner of Fitness Odyssey is donating a portion of her proceeds to ACS Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, a friend and survivor is walking with us on October 21, 2012 at Balboa Park, and to help continue the awareness and research for breast cancer.

American Cancer Society is one of the largest non-governmental research and funding organization in the nation and it's all because of you and me.  People wanting to make a change and help those in need.  From the stories I heard on August 16 at the ACS Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Kickoff Breakfast, it is not easy to be diagnosed with cancer.  But, when you got it.  You got to fight it. You got to still live your life.  With the help of ACS it is possible.

This year I am challenging myself to become a Pacesetter.  A Pacesetter is a walker that raises at least $2,000.  $2,000 provides a cancer patient with prosthesis and a wig.  I am not asking that you donate much.  $10 will do or even $5.  Times are definitely tough right now, but personally I am not going to let that be an excuse...I used to, but I am not going to anymore.  The C-word has been thrown around too lightly these days and have been thrown in my face three times this year.  A good friend has been diagnosed with Bone Cancer because her lung cancer reoccurred and another good friend has been diagnosed with stomach cancer because her ovarian cancer reoccurred and another good friend was diagnosed with a ovarian cancer for the first time.  The C-word needs to disappear.  But, it won't disappear on it's own, it will only do the former.  With every donation, a life can be saved.

On the morning of August 16 I attended the ACS Making Strides Breakfast Kickoff and learned a lot.  I learned that you may call ACS to seek help and support;  that cancer can affect any age, especially if cancer runs in the family.  I heard two stories, one from a survivor.  She was only 32 and diagnosed with Stage 3.  She wasn't planning to get a check up, but decided to because she was already taking her one year old to the doctor for his check-up.  The second story was given by a survivor's son. The son lost his mom to the disease when she was only 36.  Other stories that were shared were just as tear jerking...I thought to myself, what did I get myself into...then I remembered, I am here to make a difference, for my late grandmother, for my mother-in-law, for all the women that have survived the disease, for all the women that have lost their lives to the disease, for all of us that know anyone that has been diagnosed with any type of cancer.

Please take a moment, and if you can make a donation, $10 can add up and help those 1 in 8 women that are diagnosed with breast cancer everyday.  Please visit my ACS Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Page to make your generous donation.  For every donation made I am giving a set of handmade cards as an appreciation for your donation.

If you'd like to do more and join me on this journey.  Please consider joining team Fitness Odyssey, together we will fight breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment